Museum of Geography
Geographical science study and research began with the establishment of the University under the leadership of Academician Alexander Javakhishvili and Professor Giorgi Gekhtman. In 1958, the University hosted the Third All-Union Conference of Landscape Experts. Georgian scientists presented 13 papers at the conference and arranged an exhibition in the corridor of the Faculty of Geography and Geology, including maps created by Georgian scientists, as well as scientific papers and photos.
A decision was made at this conference to create a Museum of Geography at Tbilisi University. Thus the Museum of Geography was founded within the Faculty of Geography and Geology on September 1, 1958. Materials obtained by Georgian scientists were provided to the Museum by the Geographical Society. A noteworthy contribution included a World Atlas printed in Germany in 1711, which belonged to the Georgian writer and prominent public figure, Sulkhan-Saba Orbeliani.
A relief map of the Caucasus created at Alexander Javakhishvili’s initiative is also
found among the collections of the Museum of Geography, along with landscape, relief and topographic maps of the Caucasus and other regions. Collections include ethnological and anthropological photographic materials, some created by well-known specialists such as Dimitri Ermakov, Niko Ketskhoveli, Andria Benashvili and Guram Tikanadze. Other cartographic materials, memorabilia and manuscripts with high cultural-historical value are found in the reserves.