The Museum of Archaeology
Professor Ekvtime Takasihvili (1862-1953) laid the foundations of archaeological sciences at TSU. Since then, many generations of scientists and students have participated in the identification and study of archaeological sites in Georgia. Many artefacts portray Georgia’s history and cultural development over time, as it gradually took its place in the world. In 1967, an Archaeology Cabinet was established within the Archaeology Department of the Faculty of History and subsequently became the Museum of Archaeology.
The Museum’s exhibitions cover periods from the Stone Age to the Late Middle Ages. The numerous significant artefacts reflect the ancient history of Georgia, the Caucasus and the Near East.
The Tbilisi State University Museum and the Institute of Archaeology collaborate closely, as the latter contributes newly discovered objects from field research in Georgia which enrich the museum. Today the Museum reserves contain approximately 4000 objects.